The Temuka house is named after the first foundation place of the Sisters of St. Joseph of the Sacred Heart here in New Zealand. Three sisters arrived in Temuka on the 1st of November 1883 at the request of the parish priest at the time. Saint Mary MacKillop lived here on several occasions between 1897 and 1904. Temuka is located in South Canterbury, in the South Island.
The Penola house is named after the place Saint Mary MacKillop and Father Julian Tenison Woods founded the order of the Sisters of St. Joseph in 1866. Penola is located in South Australia half-way between Adelaide and Melbourne.
The Woods house is named after Father Julian Tenison Woods. He is the co-founder of the Sisters of St. Joseph of the Sacred Heart. He was the parish priest who inspired and encouraged Saint Mary MacKillop to follow her dream and open a school for the poor children of Penola
The MacKillop house is named after Saint Mary MacKillop herself.